208 Main St
Breda, IA 51436
Learn the Latest About Bioreactors & Saturated Buffers – Installation to Cost-share
The Elk Run Water Quality Initiative is hosting a conservation drainage field day for ag drainage retailers and contractors as well as local farmers and landowners in the Elk Run Watershed. Learn the latest about bioreactors and saturated buffers from installation to cost-share.
Lunch will be provided. Please RSVP by Friday, June 2 to Sue Derscheid at (515) 334-1063 or email@example.com.
Schedule for this Field Day:
- 11:30 Registration
- 12:00 Lunch sponsored by Iowa Corn District 4
Opportunities in conservation drainage — Chris Hay, Iowa Soybean Association
- 1:00 Travel to bioreactor site — Wernimont Trust (map provided at registration)
- 2:30 Adjourn
About the Elk Run Water Quality Initiative
Agriculture’s Clean Water Alliance (ACWA) – an association of 12 agribusiness retailers in the Des Moines and Raccoon River Watersheds – and partners are leading a demonstration and implementation project in the Elk Run watershed to showcase both in-field and edge-of-field practices that reduce nutrient loss to surface waters. The project will connect the Iowa Nutrient Reduction Strategy goals with activities aimed at reducing nutrient losses from agricultural land.
Thus far, farmers in the watershed have implemented a nitrate removal wetland, planted cover crops and have implemented livestock waste management, nutrient and tillage management practices. The project is working towards implementing more of these practices and considering others.
Partners Working with Elk Run WQI
- ACWA (Project Lead)
- Iowa Soybean Association (Staff Lead)
- IA Agriculture Water Alliance (financing for edge-of-field practices like bioreactors and saturated buffers)
- Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship
- IA Corn Growers Association
- Iowa Pork Producers Association
- IA Cattlemen’s Association
- Iowa Farm Bureau
- Crop Production Services
- Farmer’s Cooperative Co.
- West Central Cooperative
- Iowa State University Extension
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Sac, Carroll and Calhoun Soil and Water Conservation Districts
- Practical Farmers of Iowa
- Ag Partners
- Farm Nutrients
- First Cooperative Association
- Antares Group, Inc.